Saturday 11 November 2006

often sought

In late spring, before I left London, my friend Anna O and I decided to wander down to the banks of the Thames in the hours after class had finished. We made our way to the river just below Waterloo Bridge; a bench facing the water was vacant and we strolled over. Inscribed on the bench, as there often is, was a small plaque with a dedication. It said, '[For that which was] much desired, often sought, never found'. Much laughter later, and as the light faded, Anna O and I had one of those conversations which you wish you had written down afterwards. I can't recall exactly what we said, but I do remember it was one of those talks which help you clarify what it you wanted to say but couldn't quite manage to until then. It was about those things which we wanted to find; in the world, in our lifetime, in ourselves. Here's to that search Anna O, you keep trying and so will I.

No comments: